Question To The Green Brigade People

the green rokemi

Troy brings pretty much nothing but heavy brass and drums.

If we had a group of 40 kindergartners banging pots and pans together, it would be louder than our band, too.

Agreed, what they did tonight had nothing to do with music and everything to do with loud. Did anyone else notice that they played 5 songs over and over and over and over? As loud as they were, they sucked. Also, their fight song lasts an eternity.

Agreed, what they did tonight had nothing to do with music and everything to do with loud. Did anyone else notice that they played 5 songs over and over and over and over? As loud as they were, they sucked. Also, their fight song lasts an eternity.

Um, we were at a football game, not a concert. It is about being loud and involved. And as far as myself and the group around me thought, it wasn't their band that sucked

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Um, we were at a football game, not a concert. It is about being loud and involved. And as far as myself and the group around me thought, it wasn't their band that sucked

Yeah, you're right, why should you try to be good at things, just be loud and sound like garbage. How does the old saying go? If something isn't worth doing loud, it isn't worth doing. The group around me was ready to stop hearing the same five songs. They practiced 5 songs and played them repeatedly. Our band didn't play as loud, but they were much more entertaining.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, you're right, why should you try to be good at things, just be loud and sound like garbage. How does the old saying go? If something isn't worth doing loud, it isn't worth doing. The group around me was ready to stop hearing the same five songs. They practiced 5 songs and played them repeatedly. Our band didn't play as loud, but they were much more entertaining.

Each of those songs were exciting football numbers easily found in the Lamar Middle School pep band catalog. Basically, preferring that simple, easy music over the work of the Green Brigade is the equivalent of choosing the comedic stylings of Two and a Half Men over Arrested Development.

• Upvote 4

the green brigade plays all the same songs as well. they aren't loud, the tiny troy band outplayed them tonight. i don't see how our band was more entertaining than theirs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The troy band was extremely classless today. They played over our band several times and even played over our fight song and alma mater multiple times. According to their band director, he "had no idea they were doing that." Which,is of course, bullsh.

As to why they were louder, they had a bass guitar plugged into multiple amplifiers. Not sure about the guitar, but I did see the amps.

I'm glad our band picked up on Troy's crap and played over them

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

who cares what they were called or how much they practiced them. the troy band was louder than our band, at half the size. this should not happen. it doesn't matter if they were "classless" and played over our fight song, big deal! if our band played louder, it wouldn't matter.

green brigade member 95-97, disclaimer

• Upvote 1

And each song was a generic type of sports song. That's my point, they don't have names. As Quoner pointed out, these are songs that middle school bands can play.

Look. The Lamar Middle School band has won countless UIL 1st place awards and totally dominates its level of competition. It's not a high school or college plan; it's just a band plan. We should immediately hire their director to take over the Green Brigade. Success is success at any level, and volume equals success. What could go wrong?

Edited by Shuke-D
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The troy band was extremely classless today. They played over our band several times and even played over our fight song and alma mater multiple times. According to their band director, he "had no idea they were doing that." Which,is of course, bullsh.

As to why they were louder, they had a bass guitar plugged into multiple amplifiers. Not sure about the guitar, but I did see the amps.

I'm glad our band picked up on Troy's crap and played over them

if our band played louder, then it wouldn't matter that they played over our fight song. no opposing school should be louder than the home teams fight song, period! the fight song is the FIGHT SONG!!! LOUD AND PROUD!!!

i never heard any bass guitar...i heard loud brass and drums...something that didn't come from our band.

Look. The Lamar Middle School band has won countless UIL 1st place awards and totally dominates its level of competition. It's not a high school or college plan; it's just a band plan. We should immediately hire their director to take over the Green Brigade. Success is success at any level, and volume equals success. What could go wrong?

I heard the Lamar Middle School drum major is the directors son. He's a phenomenal drum major, but if he comes to UNT to play under his dad, then we'll never be able to get another decent drum major while he's here. Do we really want to re-live this fiasco?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look, I can tell where you're going with this, and yes, there is a record of a high school director of bands coming to North Texas, and creating a world class program, but those were special circumstances; he had directed at the college, then professional level, then returned to Texas to a high school position because of illness in the family, and when the time was right, he was given his opportunity here, and boy did he ever make the most of it:

Leon Breeden bio

I doubt that will ever happen again, but who really knows?

• Upvote 1

I have always wondered why our band always sounds so muffled and unenthusiastic. The Sound of the South showed the Green Brigade up last night, plain and simple. The were louder, more excited, into "the game", and just sounded better. They had fun - and when they played their version of the ESPN song, it really was original and I took it as - they will be on ESPN over that last play,etc... We played over them right before the half - they were playing and here our band comes with the 5,000,000th try at Fly Like an Eagle or something... This comes up every year and every year someone says that our band is using better "technique" or some crud.... I don't care about technique, I just want a loud, fun, into-the-game marching (or standing) band...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1