The Sbc Recruiting Wars

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

There seems to have been some improvement in recruiting this year in the Sun Belt. Using the average Rivals Rating (and assigning a 4.9 to those not yet rated), here are the results:

1. Troy 5.43

2. North Texas 5.37

3. Florida Intl 4.26

4. Arkansas St 4.22

4. Middle Tenn 4.22

6. ULL 4.20

7. W Kentucky 5.19

8. ULM 5.16

9. Florida Atlantic 5.06

Troy has the highest rated player, Eugene Kinlaw, with a 5-star rating and several other very good players.

The ranking of ULL is a joke since they have only one commited player. They must be the latest disciple of stealth recruiting. Florida International has the most commitments with 20. The rest range from nine to eighteen.

I believe that both Ira Smith and Daniel Mayberry's ratings have been elevated by .1. That makes Smith's rating of 5.6 our hightest rating. Personally, I think that Prior, Boutwell, and White are underrated but there are a couple that may be overrated so that the totals would not vary much.

I don't understand either Bustle or Schnellenberger's disdain for striking while the iron is hot. Both are coming off of pretty good seasons and both are dragging their rears when it comes to recruiting. It's especially critical for ULL since they lost their two offensive threats.

There seems to have been some improvement in recruiting this year in the Sun Belt. Using the average Rivals Rating (and assigning a 4.9 to those not yet rated), here are the results:

1. Troy 5.43

2. North Texas 5.37

3. Florida Intl 4.26

4. Arkansas St 4.22

4. Middle Tenn 4.22

6. ULL 4.20

7. W Kentucky 5.19

8. ULM 5.16

9. Florida Atlantic 5.06

Troy has the highest rated player, Eugene Kinlaw, with a 5-star rating and several other very good players.

The ranking of ULL is a joke since they have only one commited player. They must be the latest disciple of stealth recruiting. Florida International has the most commitments with 20. The rest range from nine to eighteen.

I believe that both Ira Smith and Daniel Mayberry's ratings have been elevated by .1. That makes Smith's rating of 5.6 our hightest rating. Personally, I think that Prior, Boutwell, and White are underrated but there are a couple that may be overrated so that the totals would not vary much.

I don't understand either Bustle or Schnellenberger's disdain for striking while the iron is hot. Both are coming off of pretty good seasons and both are dragging their rears when it comes to recruiting. It's especially critical for ULL since they lost their two offensive threats.

So you figure we can teach Schnellenberger something about recruiting?

The "open contact" period runs Jan 18 through the 31st, which means

many prospects are visiting North Texas. All the campus is open, the

spring semester has started, so the prospects will be able to see just

how great it is to be part of the Mean Green nation. This is a very

powerful recruiting avenue, for the coaches and for the prospects.

As far as coming in second to Troy's recruiting class, or any of the

SBC schools, I would not throw in the towel just yet. I do believe

the Mean Green nation will receive more good news regarding

the 2009 class very soon.

Guest GrayEagleOne

So you figure we can teach Schnellenberger something about recruiting?

I wish we could, George. With Schnelly's coaching acumen, he should attract much of the very best players available after the top programs have gotten the cream of the crop. He could really help this conference grow if he would put forth the effort.

1. Troy 5.43

2. North Texas 5.37

3. Florida Intl 4.26

4. Arkansas St 4.22

4. Middle Tenn 4.22

6. ULL 4.20

7. W Kentucky 5.19

8. ULM 5.16

9. Florida Atlantic 5.06

If they still only show 1 commit for the Cajuns; they are ill-informed. We have only 15 scholarships available and 14 commited now (includes 3 mid-semester JC guys already enrolled).

Good pick-up by UNT on White from New Orleans. Cajuns were (may still be) interested; but didn't like something in his transcripts (from what I've heard). We could have used someone like him on our DL.

Shof

Edited by Shof

If they still only show 1 commit for the Cajuns; they are ill-informed. We have only 15 scholarships available and 14 commited now (includes 3 mid-semester JC guys already enrolled).

Good pick-up by UNT on White from New Orleans. Cajuns were (may still be) interested; but didn't like something in his transcripts (from what I've heard). We could have used someone like him on our DL.

Shof

That's all Rivals shows (Link to team lists). You might want to get on them. Scout shows 12.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I wish we could, George. With Schnelly's coaching acumen, he should attract much of the very best players available after the top programs have gotten the cream of the crop. He could really help this conference grow if he would put forth the effort.

He build FAU from scratch and you are questioning his effort on helping the conference grow ?? Over the past 2 years Schnelly has 2 bowl wins to go along with 15-11 record. If anything FAU will continue to grow at a rapid pace and outgrow the belt

Edited by NT03

He build FAU from scratch and you are questioning his effort on helping the conference grow ?? Over the past 2 years Schnelly has 2 bowl wins to go along with 15-11 record. If anything FAU will continue to grow at a rapid pace and outgrow the belt

We have never beat FAU and they have two straight bowl wins. I don't think that anyone in the Belt can claim that they have two consecutive bowl wins... in fact, I think that we are the only other school that have two consecutive bowls. Schnelly seems to do things old school and it works for him... I would trade rivals rankings for wins and national reputation anyday.

That's all Rivals shows (Link to team lists). You might want to get on them. Scout shows 12.

Doesn't bother me enough to "get on them". I'm sure they will figure it out after 4 Feb. Besides, we all know that for programs like our's the stars don't mean quite as much as they do for the "big boys". Neither Rivals or Scout really have great info on athletes we often take chances on. Kids that are an inch or two too short, or 20-30 pounds too light. Typically we try to find these kids with good character that have the potential to grow into their positions. Good luck with the rest of your recruiting season.

Shof

Guest GrayEagleOne

For all of FAU's success, what is the highest they have been ranked? I believe that it was in the 50s. They were a consensus #81 last year with a bowl victory. In my opinion, they could have been the next Boise State if they had a little more talent. Schnellenberger has the knowhow, experience (does he ever), and reputation (coached a national champion) to get Boise-like talent. He had one good recruiting class but hasn't matched that recently. Only three of the eleven commited thus far are even known by Rivals scouts. I contend that he can do better.