Damon West

slop64

Damon West was the starting QB for the Mean Green in 1996 I believe. I don't know if he started the whole season, but I know he started against Arizona State. We were going in to score, ran an option play and he fumbled it at the 1. I beleive they picked it up and took it 99 yards for the score. Remember Arizona State had Plummer that year and were number 1 for the majority of the year. I believe they lost to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. My details my be a little sketchy, but he did play QB for us.

Yeah....I think he was one of Simon's recruits. If I'm not mistaken, his dad is a big sportswriter down in Beaumont/Port Arthur. And his dad, often writes glowingly about TDodge. (I think Deep Green has posted some of his articles on here).

The good thing is, if most of us diehards didn't make the connection then neither will anyone else. BTW, just wondering if he was part of the group involved with "Logangate" (diehards will remember the Utah St. fiasco)! Maybe that's where he perfected his craft :unsure: .

Yes, Damon was a QB during the Matt Simon era. He started sparingly, and was involved in the option play fumble on the goal line against Arizona St in 96. He was injured the following off-season and never played again for UNT. Those people that knew Damon shouldn't find this surprising at all.

This is a shame. My cousin and I who were roommates at Kerr Hall our freshman year in '96 lived next door (and shared a bathroom) with Damon and his roommate. I liked Damon, though I didn't hang out with him outside of Kerr Hall or knew him that well. I lost touch with him after we moved out of the dorms at the end of that year, and haven't heard anything about him since he was the QB in '96.

...sometimes you have to hit rock bottom. :(

All I can say is WOW. Are we sure this is the same UNT Damon West? I have posted articles written by his father, Bob West, sports editor of the PA News.

I remember Damon playing QB for us during a game at Texas A & M. This may have been is Soph. year. He was leveled by an onrushing aggie defender, driving Damon into the turf and dislocating or breaking his shoulder. He was out for the season. Then, in the summer of his rehibilitation, getting ready for the Fall football season, he slipped in the shower, cutting his achilles tendon (that's what I seem to remember). That was it for Damon's football career. I believe he graduated from NT with a business/finance degree and held a good job.

Terrible, terrible to read about his arrest.

Damon West was the starting QB for the Mean Green in 1996 I believe. I don't know if he started the whole season, but I know he started against Arizona State. We were going in to score, ran an option play and he fumbled it at the 1. I beleive they picked it up and took it 99 yards for the score. Remember Arizona State had Plummer that year and were number 1 for the majority of the year. I believe they lost to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. My details my be a little sketchy, but he did play QB for us.

I do remember being pretty degected (sp?) when that play happened. We weren't down very much as I recall at that point of the game.

EVERYONE WILL now make the connection to UNT since it has been posted here on GMG.com. Don't you realize that EVERYONE reads GMG.com? It's a nationat new treasure...believe it! Who could resist reading the great stuff that gets posted here by the likes of all the GMC.com members? :lol:

EVERYONE WILL now make the connection to UNT since it has been posted here on GMG.com. Don't you realize that EVERYONE reads GMG.com? It's a nationat new treasure...believe it! Who could resist reading the great stuff that gets posted here by the likes of all the GMC.com members? :lol:

Speak for yourself...

I'd like to think the world hang on every sarcastic, smart-ass word I post.