Troy

Troy apparantly subscribes to the Darrell Dickey theory of recruiting...this was a bitch to put together...and I would love for a Troy fan and come through and correct this where they see fit

Don Maestri is the elder statesman of SBC coaches. Maestri took over at Troy in 1982 and quickly turned the Trojans into a Division II power and continued his success when Troy moved to Division I in 1993, contending for league titles and eventually NCAA and NIT tourney bids in three different conferences before joining the SBC two seasons ago. Success has been harder to come by in the Belt however, translating into two consecutive losing seasons and double digit conferences losses. And with four of the team’s five leading scorers and their top three rebounders gone, three straight losing seasons is a distinct possibility.

Projected Starters:

• PG. Jerome Odem 6'1" 150 Sr.
  • SG. O'Darien Bryant 6'1" 182 Sr.
  • SF. Justin Jonus 6'6" 220 Sr.
  • PF. Bernard Toombs 6'8" 200 Soph.
  • C. Tom Jervis 6'11" 230 Jr.

Frontcourt: Gone are SBC Defensive Player of the Year Sammy Sharp (6'7" 200) and space-eater Cedric Jackson (6'7" 260) and the 22 points and 13 rebounds they combined for last season. The only proven commodity for the Trojans up front is Justin Jonus (6'6" 220 Sr.). The Alabama transfer was solid in his role as sixth man last year after joining the team in December, appearing in twenty games all off the bench and averaging 9 points per contest and shooting a solid 40% from the 19'9". Jonus will be counted on to expand his role and increase productivity in order for Troy to be competitive. Sophomore post Bernard Toombs (6'8" 200) was a well regarded prospect out of Georgia but saw limited action on an upper-classman laden roster. Toombs will be given the chance to impress in a small and unproven frontcourt in 07-08. If Toombs struggles, look for one of two seniors to pick up the slack. Jarvis Acker (6'7" 210), who was suspended before last season and later took a redshirt, is a defensive minded forward with a decent offensive game similar to the departed Sharp. Ralph Jennings (6'8" 200) is an athletic and active rebounder (3.4rpg in 15.7mpg), but is limited mainly to put backs offensively. The frontcourt X-factor will be Tom Jervis (6’11” 230 Jr.) and how he fits into Maestri’s up-tempo style. The Australian JUCO transfer is the only legitimate post currently on the Troy roster, both in height and frame, but it may be his ability or inability to run the floor that dictates his minutes. Jervis averaged 11 points at Bevill St. – Fayetteville College last season, and was a solid contributor on the defensive end, averaging 3.4 blocks including three games swatting eight shots. Swingman Kenny Ware (6’6” 205 Jr.), a transfer from Okaloosa Walton CC should contend for time at either the 2 or 3 position.

Backcourt: The best player in the Sun Belt that you’ve never heard of is O’Darien Bassott (6’1” 182 Sr.). Bassott led a balanced Trojan attack last season, averaging 15.1 points and contributing 2.1 rebounds and 3.0 assists per contest. All the attention will now be squarely on Bassott’s shoulders with the departure of sharpshooter Boo Ramsey (5’11” 194) and former Utah Ute Richard Cheney (6’4” 205). Bassott is a poor man’s Bo McCalebb, a decent outside shooter (38% 3pt) who likes to attack the bucket, and will have to put up McCalebb like numbers in order for Troy to be in games. Joining Bassott in the backcourt, Jerome Odem has the inside track at starting at the point. Odem (6’1” 150 Sr.) started 19 games last season and led the team in assists (3.2apg), but should be pushed by both Brandon Hazzard (6’1” 195 Soph.) and Michael Vogler (6’0 180 Soph.). Hazzard saw minimal action last season, but like Toombs was a well thought of recruit, and should improve upon his paltry freshman statistics (2.3ppg, 0.9 apg). Vogler is a pure point who comes to Troy after a season at Chipola CC. Josh Williams (5’11” 162 Jr.) saw limited action last year. Arguably the best player on the roster will be sitting out next season. Richard Delk (6’4” 175 Jr.) is the lesser of the former Mississippi St. twins; Reginald transferred to Louisville. Delk played the wing for MSU, but cited the want to play point guard as his motivation for transferring.

Note: As of 8/3/07, Troy has at most 11 players on scholarship, leaving as many as two still available. Two names associated with the Trojans are Trayce Macon (6’8’ 200 Soph.) and Mario Telfair (6’6” 200 Jr.), both of Santa Fe CC in Gainesville, FL, however I am unable to get any official confirmation. If these players are on the roster, look for Macon to push as starter at the 4 and Telfair to play a significant role behind Jonus.

Overall: Last season five Trojans averaged double figures. Four of those players are gone, taking with them nearly 48 points and 23 rebounds per game. A reasonable expectation of Jonus is up his scoring by five, and maybe get 15ppg from whoever ends up at the posts. So, with some quick math, Bassott would only have to average about 44 points per contest for Troy to match last seasons numbers. And that’s just to get to an 8-10 SBC record. Hyperbole, perhaps, but the point gets through…Troy is O’Darien Bassott, and then a bunch of guys. Coupled with the fact Troy will be playing in the difficult SBC East and this could be a long season for Maestri and his Trojans.

Troy apparantly subscribes to the Darrell Dickey theory of recruiting...this was a bitch to put together...and I would love for a Troy fan and come through and correct this where they see fit

Don Maestri is the elder statesman of SBC coaches. Maestri took over at Troy in 1982 and quickly turned the Trojans into a Division II power and continued his success when Troy moved to Division I in 1993, contending for league titles and eventually NCAA and NIT tourney bids in three different conferences before joining the SBC two seasons ago. Success has been harder to come by in the Belt however, translating into two consecutive losing seasons and double digit conferences losses. And with four of the team’s five leading scorers and their top three rebounders gone, three straight losing seasons is a distinct possibility.

Projected Starters:

• PG. Jerome Odem 6'1" 150 Sr.
  • SG. O'Darien Bryant 6'1" 182 Sr.
  • SF. Justin Jonus 6'6" 220 Sr.
  • PF. Bernard Toombs 6'8" 200 Soph.
  • C. Tom Jervis 6'11" 230 Jr.
Frontcourt: Gone are SBC Defensive Player of the Year Sammy Sharp (6'7" 200) and space-eater Cedric Jackson (6'7" 260) and the 22 points and 13 rebounds they combined for last season. The only proven commodity for the Trojans up front is Justin Jonus (6'6" 220 Sr.). The Alabama transfer was solid in his role as sixth man last year after joining the team in December, appearing in twenty games all off the bench and averaging 9 points per contest and shooting a solid 40% from the 19'9". Jonus will be counted on to expand his role and increase productivity in order for Troy to be competitive. Sophomore post Bernard Toombs (6'8" 200) was a well regarded prospect out of Georgia but saw limited action on an upper-classman laden roster. Toombs will be given the chance to impress in a small and unproven frontcourt in 07-08. If Toombs struggles, look for one of two seniors to pick up the slack. Jarvis Acker (6'7" 210), who was suspended before last season and later took a redshirt, is a defensive minded forward with a decent offensive game similar to the departed Sharp. Ralph Jennings (6'8" 200) is an athletic and active rebounder (3.4rpg in 15.7mpg), but is limited mainly to put backs offensively. The frontcourt X-factor will be Tom Jervis (6’11” 230 Jr.) and how he fits into Maestri’s up-tempo style. The Australian JUCO transfer is the only legitimate post currently on the Troy roster, both in height and frame, but it may be his ability or inability to run the floor that dictates his minutes. Jervis averaged 11 points at Bevill St. – Fayetteville College last season, and was a solid contributor on the defensive end, averaging 3.4 blocks including three games swatting eight shots. Swingman Kenny Ware (6’6” 205 Jr.), a transfer from Okaloosa Walton CC should contend for time at either the 2 or 3 position.

Backcourt: The best player in the Sun Belt that you’ve never heard of is O’Darien Bassott (6’1” 182 Sr.). Bassott led a balanced Trojan attack last season, averaging 15.1 points and contributing 2.1 rebounds and 3.0 assists per contest. All the attention will now be squarely on Bassott’s shoulders with the departure of sharpshooter Boo Ramsey (5’11” 194) and former Utah Ute Richard Cheney (6’4” 205). Bassott is a poor man’s Bo McCalebb, a decent outside shooter (38% 3pt) who likes to attack the bucket, and will have to put up McCalebb like numbers in order for Troy to be in games. Joining Bassott in the backcourt, Jerome Odem has the inside track at starting at the point. Odem (6’1” 150 Sr.) started 19 games last season and led the team in assists (3.2apg), but should be pushed by both Brandon Hazzard (6’1” 195 Soph.) and Michael Vogler (6’0 180 Soph.). Hazzard saw minimal action last season, but like Toombs was a well thought of recruit, and should improve upon his paltry freshman statistics (2.3ppg, 0.9 apg). Vogler is a pure point who comes to Troy after a season at Chipola CC. Josh Williams (5’11” 162 Jr.) saw limited action last year. Arguably the best player on the roster will be sitting out next season. Richard Delk (6’4” 175 Jr.) is the lesser of the former Mississippi St. twins; Reginald transferred to Louisville. Delk played the wing for MSU, but cited the want to play point guard as his motivation for transferring.

Note: As of 8/3/07, Troy has at most 11 players on scholarship, leaving as many as two still available. Two names associated with the Trojans are Trayce Macon (6’8’ 200 Soph.) and Mario Telfair (6’6” 200 Jr.), both of Santa Fe CC in Gainesville, FL, however I am unable to get any official confirmation. If these players are on the roster, look for Macon to push as starter at the 4 and Telfair to play a significant role behind Jonus.

Overall: Last season five Trojans averaged double figures. Four of those players are gone, taking with them nearly 48 points and 23 rebounds per game. A reasonable expectation of Jonus is up his scoring by five, and maybe get 15ppg from whoever ends up at the posts. So, with some quick math, Bassott would only have to average about 44 points per contest for Troy to match last seasons numbers. And that’s just to get to an 8-10 SBC record. Hyperbole, perhaps, but the point gets through…Troy is O’Darien Bassott, and then a bunch of guys. Coupled with the fact Troy will be playing in the difficult SBC East and this could be a long season for Maestri and his Trojans.

Pretty good analysis....

Toombs is a tad undersized for his position and therefore is not the physical type guy we need. I hope he adds some bulk in order to be more physical.

Bassott is spelled Bassett.

Bassett is our main man and we definitely live and die by his play.

Jennings is basically just another body and isn't going to light up the scoreboard in any game.

Jonus is our primary outside threat but can be streaky at times.

Williams is just another body as well but should give us some much needed depth in the backcourt.

Hazzard is o.k. but nothing special.

I think the backcourt is in great shape and I hope we can find a big man or this season will turn out like the last two.

Maestri plays a different game. In the 2006 conference tournament, Troy set an NCAA record for number of 3s made in a game (27? something like that). Maestri's Troy has owned the record before and my memory tells me that of something like the top 10 games for most 3s in NCAA history, Troy owns 6 or 7 of the spots (I am away from my home and don't have the exact numbers with me). Last year again, Troy tried most 3s in the conference. There in a nutshell has been Maestri's game.

Their problem in this league has been that while they have had a lot of shooters, many were spot-up shooters - the run to a spot, wait for the ball, take a shot if they are open, pass it off if they are not. Remember our George King from our Southland days? George could shoot lights out if somebody got him open but he was extraordinarily slow. Troy's 2006 team had about six George Kings. After setting the record in 2006, their 3-pt shooting was shut down the next night by defenders who went out beyond the 3-pt line to defend them, and troy had only a couple of players who could penetrate.

My guess is Maestri's 3-pt or nothing style won't win this conference without players who are more agile and can penetrate and rebound. Certainly USA shot a lot of 3s but they could also do other things. Maestri's game is entertaining, but limited. Maybe being in this conference will allow him to recruit better, but it is clear in the past he had recruited a certain type player.

I don't have a clear fix on Maestri's defensive style. In 2006 they were all man, I hear that in other games that year they played some zone. They did not play every energetic defense in 2006 and the night they made all those 3s, they gave up 90 or 100 points. To win, they also have to play better defense; maybe they are on track to do that, didn't I read a Troy players was accorded defensive player of the year in the conference meeting a few weeks ago?

Maestri plays a different game. In the 2006 conference tournament, Troy set an NCAA record for number of 3s made in a game (27? something like that). Maestri's Troy has owned the record before and my memory tells me that of something like the top 10 games for most 3s in NCAA history, Troy owns 6 or 7 of the spots (I am away from my home and don't have the exact numbers with me). Last year again, Troy tried most 3s in the conference. There in a nutshell has been Maestri's game.

Their problem in this league has been that while they have had a lot of shooters, many were spot-up shooters - the run to a spot, wait for the ball, take a shot if they are open, pass it off if they are not. Remember our George King from our Southland days? George could shoot lights out if somebody got him open but he was extraordinarily slow. Troy's 2006 team had about six George Kings. After setting the record in 2006, their 3-pt shooting was shut down the next night by defenders who went out beyond the 3-pt line to defend them, and troy had only a couple of players who could penetrate.

My guess is Maestri's 3-pt or nothing style won't win this conference without players who are more agile and can penetrate and rebound. Certainly USA shot a lot of 3s but they could also do other things. Maestri's game is entertaining, but limited. Maybe being in this conference will allow him to recruit better, but it is clear in the past he had recruited a certain type player.

I don't have a clear fix on Maestri's defensive style. In 2006 they were all man, I hear that in other games that year they played some zone. They did not play every energetic defense in 2006 and the night they made all those 3s, they gave up 90 or 100 points. To win, they also have to play better defense; maybe they are on track to do that, didn't I read a Troy players was accorded defensive player of the year in the conference meeting a few weeks ago?

We play all zone with maybe a few minutes of man to man mixed in.

We need an inside presence.

We play all zone with maybe a few minutes of man to man mixed in.

We need an inside presence.

Sammy Sharp won the SBC defensive playerof the year.

Jervis may prove to be that inside presence...I couldn't find any tape on him but you don't block as many shots as he did just by being tall...it takes some athleticism. Even with a solid post, I have a hard time believing this team can be terribly competitive. Bassett is capable of 25 a night, Jonus maybe 15...who else scores? Toombs is still thin for the 4, Odem is a distributor first...maybe one of the JUCO guys proves to be a scorer...

If I were a Troy fan I would be concerned about this recruiting class (if it is complete at this time). We at UNT complain about JJ's proclivity for the JUCO transfer...yet we also mix in 2-3 freshman per class as well...Troy will have none this year. With Troy football excelling the way it is, and hopefully Papa Todd putting us back on the FB map, I would love nothing more than for Troy to be near the top in SBC BB to create a competitive rivalry between our two schools in numerous sports.

Sammy Sharp won the SBC defensive playerof the year.

Jervis may prove to be that inside presence...I couldn't find any tape on him but you don't block as many shots as he did just by being tall...it takes some athleticism. Even with a solid post, I have a hard time believing this team can be terribly competitive. Bassett is capable of 25 a night, Jonus maybe 15...who else scores? Toombs is still thin for the 4, Odem is a distributor first...maybe one of the JUCO guys proves to be a scorer...

If I were a Troy fan I would be concerned about this recruiting class (if it is complete at this time). We at UNT complain about JJ's proclivity for the JUCO transfer...yet we also mix in 2-3 freshman per class as well...Troy will have none this year. With Troy football excelling the way it is, and hopefully Papa Todd putting us back on the FB map, I would love nothing more than for Troy to be near the top in SBC BB to create a competitive rivalry between our two schools in numerous sports.

I am always concerned when it comes to Maestri and recruiting. He has to recruit guys willing to play in a dump with no real hopes of that ever changing.

Meastri loves JUCOs and I believe it has started to come back to haunt him after all these years. We need to start recruiting quality high school talent but, for some reason, that ain't happeing.

Honestly, I would love to see Maestri leave and turn the reigns over to David Felix (assistant HC). Felix has the fire and passion for the game that Maestri seems to lack at times.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

COACH AND PROGRAM

Troy Trojans

Last Season 13-17 (.433)

Conference Record 8-10 (t-4th)

Starters Lost/Returning 3/2

Coach Don Maestri (Southern Miss '69)

Record At School 424-294 (24 years)

Career Record 424-294 (24 years)

RPI Last 5 years 70-74-219-244-222

If basketball games were played on paper, Troy fans might want to invest in a shredder this season. While the Sun Belt returns more impact players than it has in at least a decade, the Trojans must replace four double-figure scorers, 75 percent of their rebounding, 98-of-108 blocked shots and league defensive player of the year Sammy Sharp.

Coach Don Maestri enters his 25th year at Troy and jokes that he ought to know better than to allow himself to end up in such a fix. ''This league has 15 of its top 20 scorers back and it seems like they're all returning four or five starters,'' Maestri said. ''It doesn't look like this was the year to try and replace four double-figure scorers and the defensive player of the year.''

Maestri isn't without firepower. The man who loves to see his players jack up the three-pointers at will has two good trigger-men in senior wings Odarien Bassett (15.1 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 3.0 apg) and Justin Jonus (9.0 ppg, 2.8 rpg). The 6-2 Bassett led the Trojans in scoring last season during his first year out of junior college, and shot 37.9 percent from three-point range (55-of-145). He was also second on the team in assists as he played point guard periodically. That won't happen again.

''Bassett definitely has a chance to be one of the better players in the league,'' Maestri said. ''He had a good year last year even though we played him out of position some at the point. I think that affected him. He's just going to play shooting guard this year.'' Bassett is quite an athlete. He qualified for the NCAA Mideast Regional track meet last spring in the long jump and triple jump even though he hadn't competed since he was in high school three years earlier. The 6-6 Jonus, who played at Alabama for two seasons and one semester, shot 40 percent from long range (40-of-100) while averaging 20 minutes in the 20 games he was eligible for last season.

PLAYERS

Jerome Odem (4.7 ppg, 1.4 rpg), a 6-2 senior, is back at point guard. Odem led the team in assists (3.3) in his first season out of junior college, but it wasn't a smooth transition. On top of learning how to run an offense at a new level, Odem also had some family issues weighing on him -- or not weighing on him. He wasn't able to keep his weight up at a level doctors would have liked. With Odem's family life more settled and a year's experience, Maestri sees bigger and better things from him.

''I think he had a lot on his mind last year and he doesn't express too much outwardly,'' Maestri said. ''A year's experience is really going to help him. Jerome really got better to-ward the end of last season.'' Odem will be pushed by junior college transfer Michael Vogler, a 6-0 sophomore. Vogler, who was a red-shirt freshman last season at Chipola (Fla.), was voted most improved player on a team that went 33-2 and finished national runner-up. He actually backed up point guard Ed Berrios, who signed with UAB. Vogler averaged 3.8 points and made 50 percent of his three-pointers.

''We smiled when we got Vogler,'' Maestri said. Other returning guards are 5-11 junior Josh Williams (1.0 ppg, 0.7 rpg) and 6-2 sophomore Brandon Hazzard (2.3 ppg). Maestri's frontcourt will be the youngest in the league. Jarvis Acker, a 6-7 senior, red-shirted last season. He averaged 4.4 points and 4.4 rebounds in 2005-06. Bernard Toombs (1.7 ppg), a 6-10 sophomore, played in 12 games as freshman. Maestri signed a 7-0 JUCO, Tom Jervis. The 230-pound junior stuffed the stat sheet as a sophomore last season at Alabama's Bevill State-Fayette (11.1 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 3.4 bpg).

''We immediately liked how Jervis ran the court and he's got very good hands,'' Maestri said. ''He's your typical Australian player -- he can shoot and knows how to play the game.'' Two Santa Fe Community College products will get a chance to help right away -- 6-6 junior Mario Telfair (13.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg) perhaps more than 6-7 junior Trayce Macon (4.6 ppg, 5.6 rpg). ''Macon has got an adjustment to make in D-I, but he's skilled for 6-7,'' Maestri said. ''He plays hard and he can shoot the three.'' Having to replace Sharp, Cedric Jackson, Richard Chaney and Boo Ramsey looks impossible at first glance. However, Maestri seems to think a more efficient, balanced backcourt could minimize the growing pains.

The question appears to be what kind of play can the frontcourt produce -- at either end. It will find out quickly how far it has to go. Troy opens at Alabama, where Jervis or Acker (and company) will try to get in the way of Richard Hendrix.

''Bassett and Jonus are both excellent three-point shooters,'' Maestri said. ''Jarvis Acker started two years ago and Jerome Odem played better at the end of the year. If the new ones give us a consistent effort, we might be OK.'' It looks like it might require a dazzling season of shooting to keep the young Trojans from experiencing a lot of frustration. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time Maestri's men have blistered the nets from long range.

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

BACKCOURT: B+

BENCH/DEPTH: B-

FRONTCOURT: A

INTANGIBLES: B