South Alabama

Have you ever taken your girlfriend out for a romantic Valentine's Day dinner...only to have her break up with you a few days later? Things seem to be going well...and then completely out of the blue your playing Ben Fold's "Song for the Dumped" on repeat in your iPod. Feb. 14 2006: The South Alabama Jaguars strut into Hofheinz Pavilion and beat the Houston Cougars (3rd place C-USA) 66-61, winning their 13th straight game of the season. Three days before, USA beat Arkansas St. by 18. Four days after their Valentine's victory the Jags lose by two at FIU...starting a string of 5 straight loses to close out the year...including an NIT defeat to Syracuse. Perhaps the only thing more surprising then South Alabama's collapse is that John Pelphry gets promoted for his effort. Ronnie Arrow returns to Mobile, 18 years after he led the Jags to a first round NCAA tourney upset of Alabama...and an unceremonious dismissal in 1994. Arrow comes into a more luxurious position than the bare-cupboard program at Texas A&M Corpus Christi he built from Division II to a team capable of giving Wisconsin a scare in the 07 tourney.

Projected Starters:

• PG. Daon Merritt 5'10" 190 Sr.
  • SG. Demetric Bennett 6'4" 210 Sr.
  • SF. Daniel Hayles 6'5" 215 Jr.
  • PF. Brandon Davis 6'7" 220 Jr.
  • C. Ernest Little 6'9" 230 Sr.

Frontcourt: If you want to play for South Alabama, sign with a different D-1 program and there’s a better than zero chance you'll end up in Mobile eventually. Ten D-1 transfers have played for USA since 2005...helping make the Jags the class of The Belt during John Pelphry's tenure. All five projected starters began their careers at different schools. Ernest Little (6'9" 230 Sr.) became eligible mid-season last year after transferring from UAB and immediately solidified the Jaguar frontcourt. Little debuted in late December with a 17 point performance against Ole Miss and closed out the year with 17 points and 18 rebounds in the NIT loss to Syracuse. In between he averaged 12.8ppg and 9.0rbg, good for second team all SBC honors despite playing in just 22 games. Little will have plenty of versatile help up front. Leading the way will be Daniel Hayles (6’5” 215 Jr.). Hayles sat out last season as a transfer from Auburn where he made twenty career starts, averaged 5.9 points and 3.1 rebounds as a sophomore and dropped a career high 18 against Mississippi State. The lefty is capable of playing the 2, 3 or 4 and is an adequate three point shooter. Brandon Davis (6’7” 220 Jr.) is most likely to start at power forward. Davis was solid last season (6.0ppg, 4.2rpg) in a platoon role with the graduated Leandro Buboltz. Davis, a transfer from Jacksonville State, is capable of expanding his role if he could manage to stay out of foul trouble. He comfortably led the team in fouls last season (89), fouled out twice and finished with four fouls seven other times. Davis put up double figure scoring nights seven times last season. Kenny Hooks (6’7” 215 Sr.), n Oregon State transfer, is an energetic, defensive minded combo-forward; same can be said for Trajinski Grigsby (6’6” 215 Jr.). Combined they averaged 5.1ppg and 3.6rpg. Twins Charles and Phillip Tabet (6’9” 230 sophs) will give Arrow big line-up options, as will mammoth recruit Kem Nweke (6’10” 310).

Backcourt: The big question for the Jags coming into last season was whether or not Demetric Bennett (6’4” 215 Sr.) would be able to ease the loss of Mario Jointer and Chey Christie and the 25 ppg they contributed. Bennett, a SMU transfer, stepped up, averaging 15.3 points and 5.5 rebounds per contest, scoring over 20 points nine times, including 23 against Syracuse in the NIT and a season high 29 against UNT. Bennett shot 46% from the field, 45% from three, and was a solid defensive contributor, leading the team in steals with 53. Joining Bennett is Daon Merritt (5’10” 190 Sr.). The Richmond transfer excelled in his first season in Mobile, averaging 13.0 points, 2.5 boards and a team leading 5.3 assists per contest. Depth will be the biggest backcourt concern. Gone are solid reserves Carlos Smith (9.4ppg) and Stephen Cowherd (5.6ppg). Sophomores Brooks Taylor (6’4” 185) and Darren Cloud (6’2” 180) showed little in their rookie campaigns; Taylor having a bit more in his bag with a 10 point performance in January against UL-Monroe, seeing an expanded role due to the suspensions of Merritt and Bennett. JUCO transfer Dominic Tilford (5’11” 190 Jr.) is the most likely to fill the reserve guard role. Tilford is a former Kentucky Mr. Basketball who started his career at Cincinnati, and then went the JUCO route after minimal time with the Bearcats. Dallas area combo Kevin Busby-Hayden (6’1” 165 Fr.) will also be given the chance to contribute immediately. Pelphry signed three guards in the early signing period; combo LaDarius Hall (6’2” 175), swingman Jamar Moore (6’5” 180) and point DeAndre Ross (6’1” 175) and its un-clear if they will be remaining with the Jags following the coaching change.

Summary: South Alabama was the class of the Sun Belt last season, and their collapse was inexplicable. Perhaps Pelphry was focused more on moving up than what was happening on the court. Ronnie Arrow steps into a great situation…atleast for next season. Arrow seems to be taking a different recruiting philosophy, noting that eventually the D-1 transfer pool will run dry. The Jags top three returning scorers will be seniors, their top two newcomers juniors, and 4 other upper-classmen expected to contribute next season. Arrow is a solid recruiter, and will need to show his prowess quickly, as graduations will take their toll in a hurry. Back-up point guard seems to be the only area of major concern for Arrow. Bennett and Merritt comprise the most dynamic backcourt duo in the league. Add them to Little, Hayles and a group of athletic, versatile forwards and you’re looking at the SBC champion…assuming Arrow isn’t looking to take an SEC job by the end of the season.

Censored by Laurie, I've enjoyed reading your previews but your USA preview has some bad information. Ernest Little is no longer at USA because of his legal problems. Trajinski Grigsby, Brooks Taylor and Darren Cloud have also left the team. Jamar Moore and LaDarius Hall both didn't make their grades. To replace EL, Ronnie Arrow has brought in Ronald Douglas, a 6'9", 230 lb. Jr. from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. Douglas is supposed to be a better defender, shot blocker and rebounder than Little but he doesn't have EL's offensive skills. For offense we have also brought in DeAndre Coleman, a 6'8" 225 lb. Jr. from Bevill State CC who started his career at Cincinnatti. Coleman averaged 13 and 9 last year at BSCC and is supposed to be a great scorer down low. The fact that we got Coleman means one of our other signees didn't make the grade and I'm guessing that's Tilford because Hayden and Ross have both been seen on campus playing pick-up games with the team this summer. Revised projected depth chart:

PG - Merritt, Ross

SG - Bennett, Hayden

SF - Hayles

PF - Coleman, Davis, Hooks

C - Douglas, P. Tabet, C. Tabet, Nweke (may redshirt)

We'll be depending on unproven freshmen to provide depth in the backcourt and it may take some time for all of the new kids to gel, but we should have one of the deepest frontcourts in the conference. I also think we'll be a much more versatile team with the ability to score from outside, inside with the big guys, attacking the rim and at the FT line. I think we relied on the 3 point shot a little too much under Pel because we only had 1 real inside option, a ton of guards and a 4 who loved to shoot the 3.

Censored by Laurie, I've enjoyed reading your previews but your USA preview has some bad information. Ernest Little is no longer at USA because of his legal problems. Trajinski Grigsby, Brooks Taylor and Darren Cloud have also left the team. Jamar Moore and LaDarius Hall both didn't make their grades. To replace EL, Ronnie Arrow has brought in Ronald Douglas, a 6'9", 230 lb. Jr. from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. Douglas is supposed to be a better defender, shot blocker and rebounder than Little but he doesn't have EL's offensive skills. For offense we have also brought in DeAndre Coleman, a 6'8" 225 lb. Jr. from Bevill State CC who started his career at Cincinnatti. Coleman averaged 13 and 9 last year at BSCC and is supposed to be a great scorer down low. The fact that we got Coleman means one of our other signees didn't make the grade and I'm guessing that's Tilford because Hayden and Ross have both been seen on campus playing pick-up games with the team this summer. Revised projected depth chart:

PG - Merritt, Ross

SG - Bennett, Hayden

SF - Hayles

PF - Coleman, Davis, Hooks

C - Douglas, P. Tabet, C. Tabet, Nweke (may redshirt)

We'll be depending on unproven freshmen to provide depth in the backcourt and it may take some time for all of the new kids to gel, but we should have one of the deepest frontcourts in the conference. I also think we'll be a much more versatile team with the ability to score from outside, inside with the big guys, attacking the rim and at the FT line. I think we relied on the 3 point shot a little too much under Pel because we only had 1 real inside option, a ton of guards and a 4 who loved to shoot the 3.

Wow...I heard or read nothing of Little's legal problems...is he looking at major jail time?

As for Cloud and Taylor...I had a feeling they were gone considering the number of guards being brought in.

I knew of the Douglass signing, but didn't include him because I didn't think he would see much time. He had great defensive numbers (5.6bpg), but I felt only averaging 9 points at a JUCO level translates in to a very limited D-1 offensive game. I guess with Little he probably wouldn't have seen much time.

Didn't know anything about Coleman.

As for Tilford, you've listed 12 players and can have up to 13 on scholarship...are yall under some sanctions for the Little incident or is Arrow still looking or could it be for Tilford, or one of the non-qualifiers?

Also, does USA have an athletic forum like this one...thats where I gather a lot of my information for these and I could find one for you guys

Thanks for the corrections!

Wow...I heard or read nothing of Little's legal problems...is he looking at major jail time?

As for Cloud and Taylor...I had a feeling they were gone considering the number of guards being brought in.

I knew of the Douglass signing, but didn't include him because I didn't think he would see much time. He had great defensive numbers (5.6bpg), but I felt only averaging 9 points at a JUCO level translates in to a very limited D-1 offensive game. I guess with Little he probably wouldn't have seen much time.

Didn't know anything about Coleman.

As for Tilford, you've listed 12 players and can have up to 13 on scholarship...are yall under some sanctions for the Little incident or is Arrow still looking or could it be for Tilford, or one of the non-qualifiers?

Also, does USA have an athletic forum like this one...thats where I gather a lot of my information for these and I could find one for you guys

Thanks for the corrections!

here's some stuff on Little at the time:

USA hoops star, other man sought by police

what was impressive in that story is that the police already had a mug shot on file....

from an article that is no longer on line:

...MONROEVILLE - The search for suspended South Alabama basketball player Ernest Little is over. The Jaguars center was arrested Friday afternoon after a failed hotel robbery and manhunt.

The team suspended Little after learning he was wanted by police for 3 counts of receiving stolen property. Now, he's in Monroe County Detention Center with additional charges of first degree robbery. Officials also found firearms and approximately 6 and a half ounces of marijuana in the Escalade driven by the suspects.

The SUV was wrecked as they fled from the Monroeville Budget Inn. From there, Little and his partner, 21-year-old EV Dumas III allegedly led police on a chase before crashing into a tractor.

They then ran into the woods along Highway 21. Shortly after that, dozens of armed officers entered the woods and came out with the suspects.

Investigators say more charges could be added.

South Alabama's forum:

Jags Jungle basketball forum

Let me add, I've enjoyed your previews...it's hard to keep up with things going on at other schools.

The story on Little is that he's a good kid with some really bad friends and family. I've heard that there may have been some extenuating circumstances and his original police problem likely would have gone away but that was before he and a buddy decided to try and rob a hotel and run from the cops. It's a shame too because he had so much potential. If you saw the Syracuse game in the NIT you know what I'm talking about.

Nobody expects Douglas to do anywhere near what EL was able to do offensively. His points will probably be limited to putbacks and dunks. Rebounding and defense are where he will make his mark. His game is alot like Ben Wallace I think. We should be very well rounded offensively though because Merritt is clutch when it matters, Bennett is a great outside shooter, Hayles can attack the basket and Coleman will be our primary inside offense. I've read several stories about Coleman that said he can flat out score in the paint.

We can only have 12 on scholarship because our center before EL, Jason McGriff, dropped out of school after his junior year in horrible academic standing, thus killing our APR. He also left under questionable circumstances, but nothing like Ernest. By the way, Brooks Taylor was recently arrested for possession of the wacky weed near his hometown. Hopefully we've gotten rid of all of the rotten apples and all of the guys currently on the team will keep their noses clean.

It is a shame about Little...for USA and the Sun Belt as a whole. That makes two of the best big men in the conference gone with eligibility remaining (Isaac Wells). We should be getting closer to an at-large bid this year so losing players of this quality hurts conference respectability

Guest GrayEagleOne

Just my opinion, but I doubt that the Belt will have a second playoff team for a long time.

It seems to me that the biggest failure is the lack of four year players. Most SBC programs thrive on JUCOs and transfers. Ror example, three of the starters on last year's SBC tournament champions were transfers. Throw in Rich Young and four of the top 7 players didn't begin their careers at North Texas. South Alabama appears to be even worse.

Certainly not always, but all too often these migrants from better programs come with baggage. By the time those problems are worked through and they become viable contributors, they are gone. Then the process starts over again.

Just my opinion, but I doubt that the Belt will have a second playoff team for a long time.

It seems to me that the biggest failure is the lack of four year players. Most SBC programs thrive on JUCOs and transfers. Ror example, three of the starters on last year's SBC tournament champions were transfers. Throw in Rich Young and four of the top 7 players didn't begin their careers at North Texas. South Alabama appears to be even worse.

Certainly not always, but all too often these migrants from better programs come with baggage. By the time those problems are worked through and they become viable contributors, they are gone. Then the process starts over again.

I feel we're getting back to where we were as a conference in the mid to late 90s and early part of the 00s. In 1995 WKU was an 8 seed and beat Michigan in the NCAA tourney. In 2002 WKU was a 9 seed and lost to Stanford. In between we had 11, 12 and 13 seeded teams. Last year UNT was a 15. The drop is due in large part to WKU not building off of its success and consistantly competing for the SBC title. In 2001 - 2002 we were in equal company with conferences like the West Coast, Missouri Valley and Horizon...Gonzaga, Creighton and Butler seperated themselves as the elite teams of their conference...as did WKU. The difference is that Gonzaga, Creighton and Butler have maintained their program...WKU hasn't been to a tourney since 2003...and since these conferences are getting multiple bids every year. In terms of basketball respectability nationally, the SBC has 4 recognizable programs: South Alabama, WKU, UL-Lafayette and New Orleans...USA's collapse last season hurt the Sun Belt greatly.

The D-1 transfer recruiting philosophy is relativly new for the Sun Belt...and will continue for the next 3-5 years. The reason its increased in past years is the new age restrictions on the NBA draft. Most elite basketball programs will have very few seniors in the coming years...the top 15-25 high school kids who used to go straight in to the NBA draft will now go to your UNC's, Kansas's UT's and UCLA's of the basketball world, stay one season and leave and these programs will see a never ending revolving door of players. Those moderate recruits pulled in by these schools..the 3 star guy who sees little action his first two seasons, biding his time and hoping to make an impact as a senior will have a smaller window of opportunity to show what he can do in lew of Kevin Durant like players being brought in and playing in front of him. These are talented players leaving for conferences like the SBC.

I feel soon enough these moderate recruits will say "f UT...I want to go to UNT and play all four years...or atleast 3...I don't want to go somewhere, sit a bench for 2 years only to realize I'm never going to play here."

Best case scenerio to get a second bid some time soon: One SBC school, lets say WKU, dominates the Belt this coming year...beats their SEC or ACC opponents...plays a school like UNT in the SBC tourney and losses a double OT thriller...UNT goes with the auto bid and WKU gets an at-large.

There have been teams from very good "mid-major" conferences that had RPI's in the 30's that got left out the last 2 years (Missouri State was one I think). Before we start talking 2nd bid we need to have at least 3 teams that go through the season with single digit losses and some good wins against major conference opponents and RPI top 50 teams. Even with that, I don't think the Sun Belt will get another at-large bid until the automatic bid wins a game in the tournament.

The scenario presented by CBL is not that far fetched. Wichita had a good run in the NCAAs a couple of years ago with 7 kids recruited out of Texas high schools, 4 from the Dallas/FW area and 3 from the Houston area. Wichita is still recruiting the Dallas area heavily. In other words, the power conferences aren't getting all the kids who can play and who can stay eligible. We need to do a better job of getting our share.

The current South Alabama situation is a reminder of the potential downside of relying on transfers. Some work out fine, but it's hard to know who is a good kid who left for a better opportunity and who became persona-non-gratis at his current school, for reasons having nothing to do with basketball ability. Pelphrey's big success was in getting the transfers to play as a team, until his luck ran out.

As to Arrow, his last CC team had 3 JCs and one TxTech transfer; 3 of his top 5 scorers were transfers. His teams at CC shot far fewer three's than did USA under Pelphrey. Who knows if that is a difference in philosophy or just a difference in personnel; he did have a 7-footer at CC.

USA will be a mystery. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• 2 months later...

Just to update: USA has gone through numerous changes this offseason...starting with Pelphrey leaving and Arrow coming in, and continuing to their player personnel. Star bigman Ernest Little is gone...as are a host of role-players and some of Pelphry's recruits failed to qualify.

Dominic Tilford, the former Cincinati guard will be eligible and playing.

JUCO Post Ronald Douglas was signed as a likely replacement for Ernest Little

Texas product post Kem Nweke was released from his scholarship and transferred to New Mexico

Adding depth, Arrow has added four walk-ons:

Eric Chessner 6'5" 191 Fr.

Brent Culpepper 6'5'' 181 Jr.

B.J. Ford 6'0" 165 Soph.

Chip Ivany 5'11" 157 Soph.

Ivany and Culppeper played JUCO ball last season, Ivany at Hill College in Texas. Ford played last season for Eastern Michigan and scored 3 total points. Adding 3 players with college basketball experience is a nice luxury without having to spend any scholarships.

New Projected Starters

• PG. Daon Merritt
  • SG. Demetric Bennett
  • SF. Daniel Hayles
  • PF. Brandon Davis
  • C. Ronald Douglas
Key Reserves
  • G. Dominic Tilford
  • F. Kenny Hooks
  • F/C. DeAndre Coleman
  • G. Kevin Hayden

Do you think that their new signees will help make them a force? Or do you see this as a down year for them?

In Bennett, Merritt, Hayles and Tilford they have the best backcourt in a guard-rich league. If any of their frontcourt players can put up 8 and 8...this is still the team to beat...WKU will be really good, but all players being equal...Ronnie Arrow is simply a better coach than Darrin Horn.

• 3 weeks later...

(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)

COACH AND PROGRAM

South Alabama Jaguars

Last Season 20-12 (.625)

Conference Record 13-5 (1st)

Starters Lost/Returning 2/3

Coach Ronnie Arrow (Texas State '69)

Record At School First year

Career Record 248-184 (15 years)

RPI Last 5 years 153-193-248-65-126

Ronnie Arrow is confident that you can indeed go home again. After putting Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on a fast track from Division I independent to the NCAA Tournament last season, Arrow has returned to South Alabama, where he took the Jaguars to two NCAA Tournaments during his first stint (1987-94). Arrow succeeds John Pelphrey, who left for Arkansas after 44 wins and trips to the NCAA and NIT tourna-ments the last two years. Arrow wasn't on the way up when he left Mobile. He was forced out by another administration in '94.

''I'm sure this is unprecedented,'' Arrow said. ''I'd say that I'm the only head coach who was asked to come back to a school that had asked him to leave. But it was an easy decision. ''This has always been my home away from home, and we'd taken that program in Corpus about as far as we were going to take it. We accomplished great things, going from a Division I Independent to winning the Southland Conference in our first year and playing Wisconsin tough in the tournament.''

Arrow's best South Alabama teams were led by the backcourt duo of Junie Lewis and Jeff Hodge, better known as Peanut Butter and Jelly. Hodge and Lewis have become legends in South Alabama lore, and Arrow sees no reason the guards he has inherited, Daon Merritt and Demetric Bennett, couldn't earn similar status. The senior backcourt duo is certainly similarly talented. Merritt (12.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg), a 6-0 point guard, and the 6-4 Bennett (15.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg) sound ready to become Arrow's meal ticket to a second straight Big Dance.

''Demetric and Daon said they'd heard all about Peanut Butter and Jelly, and that they were going to be my Bread and Butter,'' Arrow said. ''I told them the only way to be like Peanut Butter and Jelly was to bring home the bacon.'' Hodge hit a game-winner to defeat Wimp Sanderson's talented Alabama (Robert Horry, Keith Askins, David Benoit) team before USA pushed eventual national champion Michigan to the wire in the 1989 NCAA Tournament. ''We were tied with Michigan with two minutes left, then Glen Rice hit two threes and it was all over,'' Arrow said. ''We weren't big and we weren't exactly all that quick, but that team was bulletproof. That team hated to lose.''

Arrow said he coached such a band of gamers last season at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. The Islanders, led by Taurean Mitchell and Josh Washington, got up 25-7 on No. 2-seeded Wisconsin before realizing they had a badger by the tail. These Jaguars have the potential to essentially give Arrow a mulligan. ''This backcourt, overall, could be more talented,'' Arrow said. ''Daon is quicker than Taurean Mitchell, and Demetric Bennett might be a better shooter than any of them.''

Bennett shot 43.5 percent while making 81 three-pointers last season, which was 20th nationally. He also led the Jags with 1.7 steals per game.

PLAYERS

Merritt, in his first season since transferring from Richmond, averaged 5.3 assists, which was second in the Sun Belt. He also went to the free-throw line a team-high 142 times and made 75 percent of those (106). The other returning regular is 6-7 junior forward Brandon Davis (5.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg), who started 12 games last season. He'll be part of an overhauled frontcourt that includes three talented transfers -- 6-7 junior DeAndre Coleman, 6-5 junior swingman Daniel Hayles, and 6-9 junior post Ronald Douglas. Coleman, who played as a freshman at Cincinnati, averaged 12.7 points and 8.9 rebounds last year at Bevill State. Douglas averaged 9.0 points, 11.3 rebounds and 5.6 blocked shots for Mississippi Gulf Coast and was voted all-region.

''Ronald Douglas is an SEC athlete,'' Arrow said. ''One of the JUCO games I saw him, he had nine blocks. He's a very good defensive player. He's a little bit raw offensively, but he's a tremendous shot blocker. ''DeAndre Coleman is an inside threat who can also go outside and beat people putting the ball on the floor or with his outside shot. He has four-man toughness with outside skills.''

Hayles, who prepped at LeFlore High School in Mobile, has all-conference potential. He averaged 5.9 points and 3.1 rebounds two years ago at Auburn, and had an exceptional red-shirt season conditioning and weightlifting. ''He gives you some versatility,'' Arrow said, ''a perimeter player who can guard inside players.''

Another former Cincinnati player arriving is 6-1 junior guard Dominic Tilford. He averaged 18.7 points and 5.3 assists last season at New Mexico Junior College after averaging seven minutes per game as a freshman at Cincinnati. The Louisville product was a Kentucky Mr. Basketball.

''Tilford and Coleman were both recruited by Bob [Huggins], so they were highly recruited,'' Arrow said. ''I'm sure they are looking forward to playing together again.'' Kenny Hooks (2.7 ppg, 1.7 rpg), a 6-7 senior, started one game last season. USA also returns 6-9 sophomore twins Charles (1.7 ppg, 1.4 rpg) and Phillip Tabet (0.9 ppg, 1.4 rpg). A pair of freshmen guards, Deandre Ross and Kevin Hayden, have Arrow optimistic about the long run too. The 5-10 Hayden was a McDonald's All-American nominee after averaging 20 points, six assists, four rebounds and three steals last year for Spruce High School in Dallas.

Ross averaged 17 points and six assists as a junior at Rutherford (Fla.) High School. Arrow thinks Ross should develop into a big-time scorer whose shooting stroke strongly re-sembles Bennett's. On the heels of the inspired showing from the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi program he had built from scratch, and with the nostalgia his name and face evoked, Arrow received something akin to a hero's welcome in Mobile. Better yet, he quickly discovered that they'd essentially ''flipped'' his house. Arrow believes there are now adequate facilities and interest to build a Top 60 type of program.

''With the facilities and support they have here now, there's no reason we couldn't,'' Arrow said. ''When I was here the first time, it was really like a big high school job.'' The schedule should provide the resistance to strengthen these Jags. USA visits Ole Miss and Vanderbilt, plays Mississippi State in the Coors Classic it hosts, and will also com-pete in the Anaheim Classic, which includes USC, Southern Illinois and Mississippi State. Of course, Arrow believes the toughest opponent for the Jaguars this season will be themselves.

''The biggest thing right now is getting the chemistry right,'' Arrow said. ''Chemistry is going to be vital with this group. We've got some guys who can play, a lot of new guys, and we need everybody knowing their roles.'' Arrow has invited Hodge and Lewis back to be recognized at some point this season. Who knows, Bennett and Merritt might get such an invitation down the road.

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

BACKCOURT: A+

BENCH/DEPTH: A-

FRONTCOURT: A-

INTANGIBLES: B+