Developer Plans 50,000 SF at UNT's Gate

Cerebus

DENTON, TX-United Equities Inc. has acquired a 3.7-acre irreplaceable corner at the gates of the University of North Texas. The Houston-based developer is planning to scrape the site and redevelop it with a 50,000-sf block of upscale lifestyle retail.

Buster Freedman, president of United Equities bought the land--now holding seven, 1960s-era buildings with 16 tenants--from its 30-year owner, Curtis Loveless of Denton. "This is a teardown," Freedman tells GlobeSt.com. "The tenants will all have an opportunity to come back. That will be their decision."

Link.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JohnDenver

I know that those building don't have A LOT of flair and they really aren't THAT old (~40 years), but it would be nice to incorporate the old buildings into the new design. Keep the old facade and build up and back.

UNT did it with Chilton Hall and that is one the best looking buildings on campus (when I was in school).

This would keep the old timers happy, the new UNT'ers happy and Cool Bean's veggie taco habit happy.

"This is a teardown," Freedman tells GlobeSt.com. "The tenants will all have an opportunity to come back. That will be their decision."

I can promise you that most of the tenants won't be intrested in paying the new rates these guys will charge. That is going to be an in-demand development, and I think the national stores will have a little deeper of pockets.

Guest JohnDenver

okay, so to be clear, what all is specifically being torn down here?? My Denton geography is rusty after a few years, and I can't recall all the places at that specific block..

The Corkscrew

Wings

Barbershop

Denton Police Substation

The Tomato

Java Flakes

..treasure isle(name?)

Cool Beans

Texas Jive (TJ's Pizza)

Chopsticks

Rental House

Gas Station

Citcorp call center

Book rental place

Empty offices ...

Uncommon Ground

Wow that is a lot of property to buy out!

Using the names Stan R pulled out of his hat, who's going to support NT Athletics better: Starbuck's, Friday's, Barnes & Noble's, and Kinko's or most anyone presently on the Fry St. area ? Of course there are some, but I don't see the Fry St. folks as being concerned with balls of various shapes.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

The Corkscrew

Wings

Barbershop

Denton Police Substation

The Tomato

Java Flakes

..treasure isle(name?)

Cool Beans

Texas Jive (TJ's Pizza)

Chopsticks

Rental House

Gas Station

Citcorp call center

Book rental place

Empty offices ...

Uncommon Ground

Loveless didn't own CoolBeans proper nor the CoolBeans parking lot. He did own the building that housed the CoolBeans Annex/expansion. (Also known as the back bar) So I'm not sure CoolBeans will be torn down.

The Old Gas station (Conoco Joe to some of us) also was not owned by Loveless nor the house just west of the station. As cantankerous as that old man is I could see him not selling out to anyone purely for spite. He hates the world and especially the IRS.

I think we should just bulldoze the rest of the campus too.

Then we can build one glass tower in the middle to house all the classes, labs, auditoriums, etc. Paint the whole thing gray.

Then completely surround it with Starbucks, Best Buy, Barnes and Noble, super Walmart, super Target, Home Depot and Lowes (right next to each other of course), Chili's, TGI Friday's, Chotchkie's, and Flingers.

Then sell advertising space for all those corporate A-hole restaurants right on the Mean Green helmets.

It will be like going to college at either a mall or a NASCAR event, which is what some of you seem to want.

No thanks.

This is GREAT!

Other than the Fraternity hangouts and Cool Beans the rest can disappear...

Now the University needs to focus more on attracting business and engineering majors!

Really – when Mom and Dad come to visit the school and they see a new development that is nice and clean – it will help attract a more conservative student.

I’m all for it, maybe it will influence our University in a positive way and increase the chance of local true corporate support.

This is GREAT! 

Other than the Fraternity hangouts and Cool Beans the rest can disappear...

Now the University needs to focus more on attracting business and engineering majors!

Really – when Mom and Dad come to visit the school and they see a new development that is nice and clean – it will help attract a more conservative student. 

I’m all for it, maybe it will influence our University in a positive way and increase the chance of local true corporate support.

A more conservative student? Fantastic! And maybe if we start now we can lure the Bush Presidential Library to campus. Maybe have the Library inside a new stadium.

Seriously what the hell is a more conservative student? One who goes with the status quo? One who prefers globalized, mass marketed brands over local? One who can be told how and what to think?

Engineering and Conservative students sounds like you want an A&M North Campus.

This is GREAT! 

We definitely need some more sweet clean conservative students. rolleyes.gif

They already have a place to go, it's called College Station, where everyone looks alike and the chicks have beerguts.

They already have a place to go, it's called College Station, where everyone looks alike and the chicks have beerguts.

I have two daughters that attend a $ m, and after spending several years of moving them so far, I hate to say this buy that school has some fine looking women. Like all schools, there are some dogs too.

Edited by DeepGreen

See, this is exactly what the problem is. When people in Denton speak out against this kind of bull they are labeled as anti-business.... when in reality they are Anti-Tear-All-The-Cool-Places-Down-And-Build-A-Starbucks.

One day soon Denton will wake up and be Lewisville... all of its charm, all of its personality (the reason people are moving there in the first place) will be long gone and replaced by national "upscale lifestyle retail" businesses.

This is BS my friends. And I hope the dirty hippies of Denton will unite and all pour out their bongwater on the steps of this atrocity on its opening day.

Lets just hope Cool Beans will stick around to piss them off.

And more conservative students? RIIIIIGHT..... don't get me started.

I am not lighting the molotov cocktails yet.... but they had better stay the hell away from Riprocks.

Shane