Preserve Denton -Vote and Safe Fry St.

Well, since it is blocked by the firewall.... Let me guess.  There is some drivel about "keep denton wierd" or... "Please don't bulldoze the head shops" or some such.  Please spare me.  Put me solidly in the "Keep Denton growing" camp.  dry.gif

most companies have blocked access to myspace, so it probably has little to do with "keep denton wierd" or "dont bulldoze the head shops"...

most companies have blocked access to myspace, so it probably has little to do with "keep denton wierd" or "dont bulldoze the head shops"...

I don't care why it was blocked, I know it probably doesn't have anything vulgar. I'm just pre-judging it without reading it. laugh.gif You know, jumping to conclusions.

Amen

Im not sure I understand this statement. Im all for Denton being further developed as well. Why is it an either/or scenario? It seems to me there are plenty of old run-down houses in the neighborhoods surrounding the campus in which they could build townhomes or other developments.

They are just remodeling Fry street for the better, my god it should have been done long ago, everyone wants to see UNT and the football program grow, this part of the process. Small thinking has always been a down fall of UNT and Denton.

They are just remodeling Fry street for the better, my god it should have been done long ago, everyone wants to see UNT and the football program grow, this part of the process. Small thinking has always been a down fall of UNT and Denton.

I agree with those saying change could be good here. I want the whole perimeter of the NT campus to be overflowing with commerce. Fry St. would be a good place to start.

I agree with those saying change could be good here.  I want the whole perimeter of the NT campus to be overflowing with commerce.  Fry St. would be a good place to start.

Here, Here!!!

I love it, BTW... People running for city council are promising to stop private citizens from doing what they want with this land... THAT THEY OWN!!! ROTFLMAO!

It's the "upscale" folks we need. Right or wrong, poor people don't put banners in the stadium, don't buy blocks of seats, and don't spring for naming rights to a new stadium.

I know many of the merchants in the Fry St. area. They're all nice people, but most don't support NT athletics.

The Starbuck's and Friday's of the world don't care about NT athletics either, but they will pay money to the athletic dept. to appear as if they care.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

It's the "upscale" folks we need.  Right or wrong, poor people don't put banners in the stadium, don't buy blocks of seats, and don't spring for naming rights to a new stadium. 

I know many of the merchants in the Fry St. area.  They're all nice people, but most don't support NT athletics.

The Starbuck's and Friday's of the world don't care about NT athletics either, but they will pay money to the athletic dept. to appear as if they care. 

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Thanks. I just don't think the benefit of putting in two or three chain businesses outweighs the costs of doing away with some landmarks and popular venues. cool.gif

Thanks.  I just don't think the benefit of putting in two or three chain businesses outweighs the costs of doing away with some landmarks and popular venues.  cool.gif

landmarks and popular venues? how about eyesores? that area needs some cleaning up. check the areas around other major colleges and you will find it is time we join the modern era.

"The Square" is a far better venue thdn Fry St. The city has worked very hard to keep it well maintained and safe. I'd much rather go there then Fry St if I were looking for a place to hang out.

landmarks and popular venues?  how about eyesores?  that area needs some cleaning up.  check the areas around other major colleges and you will find it is time we join the modern era.

Have you have looked across the street from A&M? Almost nothing looks less than 70 yrs old. Not a lot better close to Texas either, at least the last time I was there and 6th street is even older looking.

Not to mention USC is in the middle of a pretty seedy area of downtown Los Angeles. It's sort of an island surrounded by scuz. wink.gif (Though this area, and most of dowtown, is going thru a revival)

UCLA on the other hand is bordered by a pretty fancy shopping district. Much of I doubt many college kids could afford. I guess we could have something in between.

I guess we could have something in between.

After reading the article, I think that's the best tack to take. Guadalupe in Austin has always been a sort of 'evolving' place. Many of the older hangouts stay where they are, but there have been new tenants/buildings/teardowns w/places like Hasting's, etc. coming in. The sky didn't fall, and it's still 'the drag'.

I'd like to see Fry maintain much of it's funkiness, but also have a few more modern businesses down there. Can't hurt, and could help.

"The Square" is a far better venue thdn Fry St.  The city has worked very hard to keep it well maintained and safe.  I'd much rather go there then Fry St if I were looking for a place to hang out.

You hit on something important here. THE CITY has worked very hard to keep the square maintained NOT business owners and yet many on these threads lambast the Fry St. area business for having a crummy, seedy, eyesore business district.

On my drive home from work last evening, KTCK 1310 The Ticket's Hardline boys during the Snake's community quick hits gave several minutes of air time to all the happenings and controversey concerning Denton's Fry Street and the complete make-over it is apparently soon to get. They all had mixed emotions on all this but all seemed upset that "The Tomato" might soon be history.

Question: Are any of the older bldgs. on Fry St of such a historical nature that they could be listed on the National Register?smile.gif At least, maybe the first head shop in the north Texas region? Ol' Fry Steet just won't look the same w/o that price-less facility. (uh, just jokin' of course)...

They all had mixed emotions on all this but all seemed upset that "The Tomato" might soon be history.

More than anything that's what I'd miss whenever I come back to the litte D. It was a yearly tradition to stop in there, have a slice, and reflect on my college years. smile.gif

More than anything that's what I'd miss whenever I come back to the litte D.  It was a yearly tradition to stop in there, have a slice, and reflect on my college years.  smile.gif

Yes I think the only thing I'll really miss will be the tomato. From what I gather it could still rent space in the new complex, correct? If that is the case I'd suggest they do it, I think even with a higher rent they could continue to make money. Just an opinion though. wink.gif

Yes I think the only thing I'll really miss will be the tomato.  From what I gather it could still rent space in the new complex, correct? If that is the case I'd suggest they do it, I think even with a higher rent they could continue to make money.  Just an opinion though.  wink.gif

I'm not sure if they really could make money. Rent is supposedly gonna be 3-4 times as much and the owners of the Tomato said they couldn't afford it going from one of the news articles(I don't remember if it was the DRC or NTD).