Say Goodbye to Fry Street

I’m sure some of you have heard this, but I don’t feel there is enough buzz about this so I Thought I would post it her. Sorry it is posted in football, but more people will see it this way.

From what I am hearing ALL the properties between Fry St. and Welch between Hickory and Oak have been bought up (except for the barber shop who has not caved yet). A development firm out of California is coming in to build another Yuppie type strip center with apartments on the top (8 stories tall).

As you may know our local elections are upon us, so I urge you guys to do research as I will be doing and vote for council members and a new mayor that will not support bringing in giant corporate monsters to Denton anymore.

One of the only reasons I still like this town is because of the Fry St. area and I am not one of the “belligerent drunks” as Mayor Brock would say. This part of town has been a part of my life since high school and now some chummy developer is going to build yuppie land and send Denton well on it’s way to becoming another Frisco or Flower Mound.

This whole thing has really got me going and made me want to be active in local politics. So what are you guys’ thoughts on this? I’m not sure much can be done now since property owners have already agreed to sell to the developer. I think I am most irritated that this was never made known to the public so they never had a say in it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... wow very interesting topic. I'd say I have mixed feelings on this one.

On one hand I'd say that a "yuppie" type setting might bring out more traditional students to those types of hangouts. I don't believe that the people that hang out on Fry street generaly are hard-core mean greeners in any way shape or fashion. Denton is not Austin, the whole "Keep Austin wierd" campaign would not work with Denton. I think the mystique of Fry street is a bit overblown simply because I don't see the thousands of people walking around and visiting all those small shops and bars, etc.. like you would see in Austin. And I don't think that is just because Austin is bigger either.

On the other hand I do like the old buildings and it might be a little sad to see them go because many of them do have a lot of character and charm. You might also lose a good portion of the liberal-arts folks at the university who would consider the area to have been "sold out" to profits and devoid of all interesting unique college atmoshpere.

However if I had to vote, I would vote for corporate interests because I believe that the people that it would attract would be a more pro-athletics crowd overall. I don't think it would harm the area in fact I think it is a brilliant re-vitalization idea that will bring significantly more traffic and people into the area. Just my opinion though. biggrin.gif

Dude I hear you but I also kindof like the idea of them cleaning that area up. Maybe there is a compromise? You almost sound like a Denia person.

Why don't they just do what Boston does, they just build two 50 story skyscrapers sandwiched on either side of a 300 year old 2 story historic courthouse. It is some of the most amazing and bizzare contrasts that I have ever seen in the downtown area.

What development firm bought up the property?

If the barber shop does not cave will that kill the development?

I'd hate to see a lot of those places go away. I was never a fan of the State Club, but I did visit there a few times. Please tell me the "Tomato" would not go away. Based on the limited info I've recieved, I'd fight it if I lived in Denton. Fry Street was one of my favorite hangouts in college and I hate for it to turn into the "West End in Denton". I hate that place.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!

Kiss heavy student attendance at games goodbye.

NT will be a ghost town on the weekends.

This could be the case unless...............

A new "bar street" area opened up. Something more accessible to passers through. I know whatever new one came in would be a bit more "corporate" than everyone is used to, but pretty much I think it would be a success with the right location.

There would be A LOT of money to be made should Fry Street get torn down. I can't imagine that someone wouldn't want to take advantage of that niche if it got taken away.

Guest JohnDenver

MGN has started these rumors before. Baseless ...

MGN, where are the articles? Were are the rezoning meeting minutes from city councel? Why don't we see rezoning proposal signs all around that area?

Are you talking about this:

ACC to buy Denton student housing property

Business Journal - 1 Mar 2005

...DENTON, TX - American Campus Communities Inc., the first Austin real estate investment trust to go public, is planning to scoop up a student housing property in Texas.

ACC, which is based in Austin, has been on a buying spree, most recently buying five properties in college towns in Florida.

The REIT will continue its expansion with the purchase of another student housing property near the University of North Texas in Denton.

Edited by JohnDenver

If it's true, I would support it. I embrace change in all forms!

I like the charm of Fry Street, but frankly, it needs to be cleaned up. Heck, go into the Flying Tomato (er, Tomato now). and I bet that some of the pizza crumbs (and beer) that I dropped on the floor in that place are still around. Love the atmosphere of the Tomanto, but that place needs some major industrial cleaning! It is just another bio lab for the university.

Burl

MGN has started these rumors before. Baseless ...

I don't recall ever starting any rumors before!?!?!

BUT I did some asking around and found out more information

Here https://egov.cityofdenton.com/crw/Project_S...t_no=PAC06-0014

Is the information about the project, just click on the comments link.

I also found out that it is NOT definite yet.

My sweet ph34r.gif skills received this message:

"It is called University Town Center. At this point they have only filed for a Preliminary Application Conference, project number PAC06-0014. This is done to get input for what will be required for development of a project. Often times it may be months before any plans are actually submitted or many projects never continue if there are too many issues. You can go to the City Website, Online services, Trakit and search for project #PAC06-0014. "

So since nothing is actually finalized there may be things we can do to prevent it from happening. I am going to try to find out what steps there are to take to start petetions or what not. I will post more as I find out.

I was never a fan of the State Club, but I did visit there a few times.  Please tell me the "Tomato" would not go away. 

State Club disappeared a few years ago, to be replaced by a chain: Jimmy Johns.

I still miss the chicken tenders sad.gif

Guest JohnDenver

I don't recall ever starting any rumors before!?!?!

A whole Ramon getting hired by TSU rumor that you spread on GMG before the bowl game... that is what comes to mind.

From what I am hearing ALL the properties between Fry St. and Welch between Hickory and Oak have been bought up (except for the barber shop who has not caved yet). A development firm out of California is coming in to build another Yuppie type strip center with apartments on the top (8 stories tall).

This is a FAR stretch from some group inquiring about how to proceed with it. Rumor == "all the bars will be gone, they got bought up." Truth = "A developer is interested in a growing university and growing city."

That is all.. These projects are 99.999% vaporplans. You will never see them.

Guest JohnDenver

The development firm is from California?  I wouldn't worry too much, at least not yet.

Well, reading through their plans, it appears the group is a Venture Cap group in Dallas. The firm doing the drawings is also in Dallas. Maybe the money for the Venture Cap group is coming from CA though?

Denton has shown through the years that it doesn't like change. This would be huge change for the heart of the city. I couldn't imagine this being pushed through successfully.

Their drawing is to take the block that includes the Tomato, barber, Cool Beans, Uncommon Ground, that vacant building beside it .. all the way around... Texas Jive ...

Riprock, Lou's, Kharma ... that whole side is untouched.

Edited by JohnDenver

Here is the skinny.

Curtis Loveless (Lovelace) not sure of the correct spelling, is a local Denton businessman. He owns the parkinglot behind TJ's (Texas Jive now) and Cool Beans and between Oak and Hickory. Through the years he's bought many buildings in the Fry St. Area. He's cobbled together quite a nice collection including Mr. Chopsticks, Tomatoe, etc etc.

He's quietly gone about his business and esentially bought the entire block from the corner of Ave. A & Hickory to Oak down to Welch and back over to Hickory. He doesn't own Cool Beans proper (just the annex) or their small concrete parking lot (next to the kitchen) or the old gas station down the street at Hickory and Welch as well as one or two other buildings.

As of late a few of these buildings leases such as Chopsticks have come up for renewal. When business owners approach to renew he tells them no thanks "but you are welcome to go month to month." (Which of course is what they have all done) He refuses to renew because he is in fact planning on selling to a developer.

The businesses on the other side of Hickory - Lou's, Rips, Billyshears etc are safe from him.

I believe a man should be allowed to do just about anything he wants with HIS property but I'd hate to see Fry St. go away for any sort of sanitized Southlake cookie cutter crap. Let the lemmings have that soulless garbage. Leave Fry. alone.

As for a new development being "good for athletics" because the people who go to Fry aren't fans of athletics is a preposterous statement. How can you know that? Are you saying people who go to Fry are anti UNT athletics? If so I'm calling bullshit. I hung out on Fry when I lived in Denton and still go everytime I come up. (For every home football game I might add) I meet many friends down there as well who also go to the games. Not to mention I know three of the businesses down there who have given substantial gifts (monetary and in kind) to the athletics department for many years.

Leave Fry Alone.

Yup, it is happening for sure, I have already seen the site plans. I saw them about 3 or 4 weeks ago and at that time cool beans was also still a hold out, and so was Joe the old gentleman that owns the Gas station and adjacent properties. I did not think the apartments went 8 stories but I did not pay attention for the most part. What I did notice is the Tomato will be replaced with a Drug Store.

It will be good for the school and if more Bars open there is better reason to stay in Denton on the weekends for the students. Fry street won't be gone it will just be remodeled which has needed for a while.

Edited by KingDL1