New Mexico JC center to visit this weekend

Harry

New Mexico Junior College center Ray Barreno will visit UNT this weekend, a Thunderbirds assistant coach confirmed this morning.

UNT signed two players in the fall in high school center Rickey Brice and combo guard Ja’Michael Brown and also picked up a commitment from junior college shooting guard Deckie Johnson this week.

The addition of that trio left the Mean Green with one pressing need left to address, an presence inside following the graduation of forwards Colin Voss and Armani Flannigan. New Mexico JC assistant Brian Lohrey confirmed this morning that UNT has been recruiting Barreno for the last several weeks.

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/04/new-mexico-jc-center-to-visit-this-weekend.html/

I've seen this kid twice (In Carrollton & Duncanville with the Latinos Select AAU team). At the time, I thought he was one of the more impressive big men I saw. Don't know why he has not flourished but I would not be disappointed with the signing. He's not a stiff and was very effective down low. Reminded me of Tyler Davis of Plano West (A&M signee). Obviously not the impact guy I was/am hoping for down low but a badly needed big body. I think I mentioned him on here in the past. That Latinos Select team, btw, was very good!

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 3

TexasHoops.com Rank #31 (Class of 2013)

RAY is a big bodied paint player with very good feet and mobility for a player his size. He can really sit down on the block and call for the ball, catches the ball in close to the rim and finishes well. He can take up space defensively, can push his man off the block and can challenge shots and clog the lane on drives to the hole. He has good hands, moves quickly to the ball and rebounds and works hard. He will have to work to stay in shape and polish off his skills but his has some good tools to work with.

6'9"

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1288195/ray-barreno

• Upvote 1