MGB: breaking news -- UNT lands JUCO forward Mohammed Ahmed

To add to the confusion: this site has pics from a game vs Casper - http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/gallery/sports/collection_9362b11e-9c27-11e3-8daf-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm#&ui-state=dialog

The official roster has a different pic , for Muhammed Ahmed http://www.gcpronghorns.com/roster.php?type=1

I think that pic is actually the kid from Australia

To add to the confusion: this site has pics from a game vs Casper - http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/gallery/sports/collection_9362b11e-9c27-11e3-8daf-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm#&ui-state=dialog

The official roster has a different pic , for Muhammed Ahmed http://www.gcpronghorns.com/roster.php?type=1

I think that pic is actually the kid from Australia

Ever the innovator, Benford has now found a way to get two players for a single scholarship. Now he can go back to subbing in players every minute and it's still the same name on the stat sheet.
  • Upvote 7

Not true. But we only land JUCO guys. Benny has been getting his tail whipped trying to get high school kids.

Not true! I forgot that we actually do get the high school recruits, but we have to place them in JUCOs.

The circle is... Complete?

Not true! I forgot that we actually do get the high school recruits, but we have to place them in JUCOs.

The circle is... Complete?

Wesley and combs will be freshman. I will be interested to see how they do next season. The majority are JUCOS. Just hoping to turn it around fast I suppose...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Wesley and combs will be freshman. I will be interested to see how they do next season. The majority are JUCOS. Just hoping to turn it around fast I suppose...

Still 6 months to the season. Will combs and Wesley actually take the floor in November? We shall see.

Still 6 months to the season. Will combs and Wesley actually take the floor in November? We shall see.

I have heard they are good but I have no clue... Wesley was on campus last year and made the grades so I would assume he is. He already lost his red shirt year so no where really to go for him I think. Combs sounded excited to be a member of the mean green nation so we shall see.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Mohammed Ahmed (Gillette College (WY), SO.): A Junior College prospect, Ahmed’s strength overpowered opponents on both ends of the floor throughout the Elite Camp. On offense, the rising sophomore exhibited terrific footwork in the low-post, escaping defenders with elusive ball-fakes and spin-moves. Around the rim, the 6-8 forward finished with both hands while displaying a capable mid-range jumper. On the defensive end, Ahmed’s quick feet allowed for the forward to pressure ball-handlers on the perimeter while Ahmed’s size contained opposing big men in the paint".

Congrats guys!!! You got a very good player. I wish we (Iona) had offered him. He is very tough, has very good hoops and has a knack to be in the right place at the right time. In crunch time he steps up and wants the ball. I think you guys got a steal with this kid.

The biggest concern with the kids out of NYC is their ability to adjust. Many of these kids live in a world where they never leave a six block radius unless they are traveling to a hoops tournament. The fact that he has done well in a JUCO, away from NYC, is a very good sign that he will do well in Texas. I will be following him and rooting for you guys. Best of luck!

Edited by IONA86
  • Upvote 4

Congrats guys!!! You got a very good player. I wish we (Iona) had offered him. He is very tough, has very good hoops and has a knack to be in the right place at the right time. In crunch time he steps up and wants the ball. I think you guys got a steal with this kid.

The biggest concern with the kids out of NYC is their ability to adjust. Many of these kids live in a world where they never leave a six block radius unless they are traveling to a hoops tournament. The fact that he has done well in a JUCO, away from NYC, is a very good sign that he will do well in Texas. I will be following him and rooting for you guys. Best of luck!

Appreciate the info. Yes we are excited to have him with the team. His video clips I have seen are impressive.

Do you have an impression of what his natural position would be? He seems to excel down in the paint but also has developed a decent jumper.

Appreciate the info. Yes we are excited to have him with the team. His video clips I have seen are impressive.

Do you have an impression of what his natural position would be? He seems to excel down in the paint but also has developed a decent jumper.

He is a natural 4. He can spread the D with his jumper but he is most comfortable in the paint. He is more athletic than he looks and has a junkyard dog mentality. He is strong and physical. There is some game video on Youtube of his time playing for JFK in high school. He is just a scrappy kid who does a lot of the little things you need to win. His brother, who is a verbal commit to Iona, is flashier and more of a SG/SF.

NYC public schools have players switching teams like you change your shirt. Sneaky deals to attract the best players to certain powerhouse high school programs is common. JFK is by no means a powerhouse and they play a lighter schedule compared to Christ the King, St. Raymond's, Lincoln etc... With that said the Ahmed brothers did put JFK on the map and the Ahmeds outplayed many higher ranked players in AAU ball as well as at famous NYC summer leagues such as Rucker or Dyckman. Mohammed will thrill the crowd with some great put back dunks but he is more often the guy who shocks you in the stats category. You will think he played a decent game until you look at the stats and see he scored 16 points, had 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals and held his opponent to 6 points while setting picks to free up your guards all game long. He was also a very good leader on his high school team.

Edited by IONA86
  • Upvote 3

He is a natural 4. He can spread the D with his jumper but he is most comfortable in the paint. He is more athletic than he looks and has a junkyard dog mentality. He is strong and physical. There is some game video on Youtube of his time playing for JFK in high school. He is just a scrappy kid who does a lot of the little things you need to win. His brother, who is a verbal commit to Iona, is flashier and more of a SG/SF.

NYC public schools have players switching teams like you change your shirt. Sneaky deals to attract the best players to certain powerhouse high school programs is common. JFK is by no means a powerhouse and they play a lighter schedule compared to Christ the King, St. Raymond's, Lincoln etc... With that said the Ahmed brothers did put JFK on the map and the Ahmeds outplayed many higher ranked players in AAU ball as well as at famous NYC summer leagues such as Rucker or Dyckman. Mohammed will thrill the crowd with some great put back dunks but he is more often the guy who shocks you in the stats category. You will think he played a decent game until you look at the stats and see he scored 16 points, had 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals and held his opponent to 6 points while setting picks to free up your guards all game long. He was also a very good leader on his high school team.

Cannot thank you enough for these updates and info. Really good to hear we have landed a kid who seems to have the "can do-will do" make-up. We have lacked a bit of that attitude since losing Roger Franklin to graduation. Seems is can, indeed, fill a big hole for this team for next season. I am looking forward to seeing him play in person. Thanks...keep it coming.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

thanks for posting.

Just looking over your roster & remembered the death of Haynes from Chicago. Sad story.

You guys are most welcome.

Mike Haynes story was sad. He had a lot of potential and was the type of player we really needed. There are too many stories like this.

Good luck with the rest of the recruiting cycle and next season.

This talk is new to us.... We do not know how to be positive.... ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This talk is new to us.... We do not know how to be positive.... ;)

LOL... we have many "constructive pessimists" on the Iona forum as well. We have a coach that has a 92 wins in four years, led us to 2 NCAA tournys, 1 NIT and to a CIT championship game and people still find fault. :D