Who Is Damon West?

GreenBat

Just saw a report on channel 8 that said former UNT QB Damon West was the Mastermind behind a burlary crew in Uptown Dallas. I've been following NT for 20 years. When did this guy play?

Edited by GreenBat
  • Upvote 1

Just saw a repot on channel 8 that said former UNT QB Damon West was the Mastermind behind a burlary crew in Uptown Dallas. I've been following then T for 20 years. When did this guy play?

Damon West was a very capable 5A QB out of Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson (now Memorial HS), and son of Port Arthur News Sports Editor Bob West. I don't have a football guide in front of me but I believe he played in '96 - '97 as a true Freshman. He got his baptism against Arizona State. His Soph. year he was injured against Texas A & M and was out for the season. The following summer as he was preparing for the fall season, he slipped in his shower and cut/tore his achilles tendon. That was the end of his career. I want to say that he did get a degree from NT but I'm not sure. What a waste of talent, and what a shame that he is involved burglary.

If I find my media guide I'll update this post.

Damon West was a very capable 5A QB out of Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson (now Memorial HS), and son of Port Arthur News Sports Editor Bob West. I don't have a football guide in front of me but I believe he played in '96 - '97 as a true Freshman. He got his baptism against Arizona State. His Soph. year he was injured against Texas A & M and was out for the season. The following summer as he was preparing for the fall season, he slipped in his shower and cut/tore his achilles tendon. That was the end of his career. I want to say that he did get a degree from NT but I'm not sure. What a waste of talent, and what a shame that he is involved burglary.

If I find my media guide I'll update this post.

Deep...I remember him being around here for several years. But the media guide shows that he was a letter winner in only one year---1995.

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 1

This just burns my butt. Every time someone commits a crime, and if they ever spent one day as a student or athlete at North Texas, their main identity then becomes "Former UNT Student/Athete (insert name here)". Since he was most recently hired to work as an aid to Garry Mauro, why couldn't his identity be "Former aid to Garry Mauro, Damon West on trial"?..... :angry:

• Upvote 1

This just burns my butt. Every time someone commits a crime, and if they ever spent one day as a student or athlete at North Texas, their main identity then becomes "Former UNT Student/Athete (insert name here)". Since he was most recently hired to work as an aid to Garry Mauro, why couldn't his identity be "Former aid to Garry Mauro, Damon West on trial"?..... :angry:

Probably for the same reason that the Yahoo article about Bruce Smith's DUI arrest refers to him as "former NFL star" instead of "hotel developer".

Wikipedia on Bruce Smith

And, let's face it, even among us diehard Democrats, Garry Mauro is pretty much old news, unless you know something I don't. There was a feature posted on the Internet yesterday about Lane Kiffen's(sp?) search for a starting quarterback at Tennessee, which stated how important it is for their quarterback to have good character. Maybe this shows why: "ex quarterback of <place university name here> arrested for <put crime here>" just sells newspapers. Rent a copy of the old movie "Shipping News" to hear a good explanation of why controversial headlines are good for newspapers.

• 7 years later...

Interesting that this thread popped up again.  I'm visiting family and friends this weekend near the town where Damon played HS football.  Attended church this morning and noticed a young man wearing a North Texas coached/golf shirt.  It was Damon West and he was an usher at this 10:30 Mass I was attending with my wife.  I'm glad he's turned his life around.

• Upvote 3

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, DeepGreen said:

Interesting that this thread popped up again.  I'm visiting family and friends this weekend near the town where Damon played HS football.  Attended church this morning and noticed a young man wearing a North Texas coached/golf shirt.  It was Damon West and he was an usher at this 10:30 Mass I was attending with my wife.  I'm glad he's turned his life around.

Deep, Damon credits going on an ACTS retreat, which is a Catholic Mens weekend retreat, but is open to men of all faiths to attend, for changing the direction of his life. I've been on one and have been a part of teams for several others at different parishes over the years. I don't care if you're Catholic or not, I would highly recommend that any man attend one of these weekends. As Damon saw, it is a very special way to feel a part of a community without being judged. I know for a fact that the Catholic Church in Frisco, St. Francis, has one that is occurring in a few weeks and will be held at Camp Copass in Denton. The Catholic Church in Denton has them, too. Cost is usually around $175-$200 for the weekend, but they provide scholarships to make sure anyone who wants to attend can go.

Not football related, obviously, but I just thought I'd explain how Damon West has turned his life around, using his own words.

• Upvote 1

Being Catholic, I know all about the ACTS Retreat.  Never attended one but the wife keeps pushing me to go.  I wonder if she's trying to tell me something??  Heck, I attended 12 years of Catholic schooling, Nuns and Priests, the whole thing.  I could probably use a "refresher course", especially at my age.

Glad Damon was able to attend one and help turn his life around.

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2017 at 4:08 PM, DeepGreen said:

Being Catholic, I know all about the ACTS Retreat.  Never attended one but the wife keeps pushing me to go.  I wonder if she's trying to tell me something??  Heck, I attended 12 years of Catholic schooling, Nuns and Priests, the whole thing.  I could probably use a "refresher course", especially at my age.

Glad Damon was able to attend one and help turn his life around.

Wouldn't a good whack across the knuckles from a nun's ruler do the trick?

Image result for Blues brothers nun